Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ralph's Ocean House

An unknown dream friend and I were invited to the mansion of Ralph Fiennes somewhere on the coast of what looked like Central California. The dream began in a car ride to his home.

The road twisted and turned along the coast, with at times no cushion between the road and the edge of the cliff. We sped along the highway watching with the birds in the wind.

Suddenly we noticed a hand-rail on the cliffside. No house, nothing else, just the handrail. We pulled the car to the side, and I got out see what was below. At the edge, near the banister, I could see a set of stairs leading down to a house sitting on the very edge of another cliff. Much of the house was on stilts. Below the house was still water, and reflections of a few homes in the distance up the shore. It was dizzying, sickening, and spectacular.

Across the street was the beginning of the stairs that led up to Ralph's house; although we never climbed them. We just appeared at his front door the next moment.

A knock, a brief wait... and there he was. Handsome, suave, quietly beautiful and powerful. He let us in and led us up the stairs to the first floor of his home. Somewhere we knew his wife was hiding out.

This is where the oddities of a dream began. Each stair was separated by a large amount of space, and the banister stopped before reaching the top. At the end of the precarious climb, I had to crawl on the floor to make it up. At the top, I pulled myself up and stood.
The house was classically decorated, neat, clean, but dark and empty feeling - not empty in furniture, but empty in life.

We walked down the hallway, and Ralph disappeared. As we admired the view of the ocean from a hallway window, we heard Ralph argue with his wife. Things were obviously not good. The entire house and mood was dark. Outside the window, in the court below was a pool with dark blue water and a few umbrellas and chairs in a tight space. Beyond, a blue expanse of ocean.

My unknown friend left the room and went downstairs to explore more. And I was left standing there by the window, now without a top or bra on, my hands cupping my breasts in a failed attempt to hide them. Ralph came out and made a comment about large breasts being impressive. Great..the one thing I had going for me. :)
He made apologies for not being able to show us around the house, and he then returned to his wife to finish their conversation.
Clothed again, I walked around the darkened upper floor and discovered a new stairway. This too had individual steps with large spaces in between. In addition, the stairway was very narrow and had no banister. I decided to squeeze my way down, thinking that although it was treacherous, it was still better than the first set of stairs.
Along the way, I came across a man playing an instrument on the stairs, poissibly a harmonica. It was hard to get past him...as I tried, the dream became jumbled, and I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment